After doing a fresh install of Ubuntu 12.04 I had problems installing running VMware Workstation 8; when building the kernel modules it failed to build the network module (vmnet).
The fix is to patch the kernel modules (as VMWare hasn’t responded to changes in the 3.2 Kernel).
- Download the patch from here: vmware-8.0.4_patch_linux-3.2.tar
- Download and extract the patch:
tar xf vmware-8.0.4_patch_linux-3.2.tar
- Enable the execute flag on the extracted script (if necessary):
chmod +x patch-modules_3.2.0.sh
- Install the ubuntu “patch” utility (If necessary):
sudo apt-get install patch
- Run the script to patch the modules:
When I ran the script it tried to build the modules and reported errors, however, the next time I ran workstation it built and loaded modules without problems
Special thanks to Martin1000 in the VMWare Forums for the tips.